Thursday, May 17, 2012

Album Review: Shooting Star EP

ARTIST: Owl City
GENRE: Electronic, Pop
DATE RELEASED: May 15, 2012
THOUGHTS: When I first heard that Owl City was coming up with a new album, I was extremely ecstatic- I am a Hoot Owl through and through, and I jumped at the chance to get new music from him. I soon after heard that he was experimenting with "a new sound", and I got apprehensive- not wanting to lose my undying devotion, but not wanting a drastic change from OC's usual, bubbly electronic feel, I almost resisted listening to his new EP, but I caved, and... I loved it! It wasn't dramatically different, he simply is experimenting with different effects. The first thought that came to me in regards of the sound was more "mature", for lack of a better word. It's not as bubbly as his other works, the instruments sound a bit "heavier" (does that term make sense?), and his lyrics seem more grown-up. Not, of course, in a vulgar way, because he is extremely clean in his lyrics (just another reason to love him), but the messages sound more serious. 
  • "Shooting Star" is a comforting song about showing the world who you are. In a way, it's almost reminiscent of Katy Perry's "Firework", as far as messages and pyrotechnics go. 
  • "Gold" is a really awesome song about not hiding your talents (that's what I got from it, anyway), and it's got a great hook to it, sucking you in.
  • "Dementia" is more rock-infused, featuring Mark Hoppus from the band Blink-182. I don't love it as much as the others, but it's still a good song with a good beat.
  • "Take It All Away" (sorry, no preview on this one) is a slower, more melancholy song that is quite pretty, and kind of peaceful at the same time.
OVERALL RATING: 4 out of 5 stars. While I embrace OC's new sound, I'm not a huge fan of rock, so "Dementia" kind of threw me off. However, I really enjoy the rest of the songs, and I think you should give it a listen!

Ciao for now,
~Singing Midget

No comments:

Post a Comment